Location: Full-time, 100% remote position (from home or co-working space) with occasional travel once every 2-3 months (post-COVID)
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking a Chatbot Experimentation Manager to build and maintain Chatfuel bots for both Facebook and Instagram Messenger, as well as build SMS campaigns in support of our network of partners. We are looking for candidates with experience in developing and executing various tech-driven campaigns on Chatfuel and Twilio or TextIt. Additionally, we are seeking candidates who can both gather and document data-driven learnings across our network of partners.
While we anticipate that the Chatbot Experimentation Manager can manage the complexities of both Chatfuel and SMS platforms, we want to note that not everyone whom the Chatbot Experimentation Manager will support in our network will have the same degree of technical knowledge or confidence. These folks, who wear many hats that include being chatbot builders, data analysts, and media buyers, are AC’s priority when we develop solutions to our partners’ programming needs. They are dedicated to understanding and serving their audiences; their innovative work drives our network’s impact.
As an organization that continues to practice our anti-racist values, we will place an emphasis on candidates who can show their experience in working with teams of varying technical experience: this role demands 1. a willingness to “meet others where they are” with their technical experience and 2. an understanding of how power dynamics, race, culture, and gender affect who has historically been included and excluded from technical work and programming.
Here’s what you could expect to do as Chatbot Experimentation Manager (key responsibilities):
- Build and support Facebook Messenger bots in Chatfuel
- Build and support a growing network of Instagram DM bots
- Work directly with partners within our network and with other progressive organizations to develop and share best practices for growth and impact on our Messenger bots for both Facebook and Instagram
- Test and QA your own and others’ bot builds
- Understand our unique approach to Facebook Messenger bots and IG DM bots and build processes and documentation to improve upon our current systems
- Train individuals across our network on how to use Facebook Messenger and IG DM bots
- Efficiently and accurately pull data and analyze it, as needed
- Support troubleshooting of Facebook & Instagram Messenger bots and Chatfuel flows
- Develop and execute SMS campaigns with our ventures and support data collection
- Develop data dashboards for our Messenger work as needed in Amplitude or Google Analytics
We’ll also look for the Chatbot Experimentation Manager to:
TBD: Take on additional responsibilities and pitch in to help meet the evolving needs of our growing team. Given our lean experimentation approach and our work with partners at various stages of growth, flexibility and comfort with change are key components of our work.
Be committed to our goal of becoming an anti-racist organization. Within your role, utilize equitable management skills, challenge white supremacy, and pursue expansive and inclusive programming. Center our understanding that multiple systems of oppression intersect with racism and embrace that our values work is ongoing and continues to deepen, broaden, and evolve as we continuously strive to embody progressive values as an organization.
Serve as a resource to our network of partners, including sharing best practices, training, convening, and troubleshooting. We use a co-staffing model with our partners where we’re collaborators working side-by-side to help where needed, not consultants prescribing solutions.
Take an entrepreneurial approach to their work and learning new skills. In our fast-paced, unstructured environment, we love it when staff first try to figure things out on their own and then ask for help if they’re stuck.
Seek out opportunities to deepen their skills on current/emerging platforms and with lean startup methodology. We take an individualized approach to growth where staff advocate for development opportunities that align with their interests and the team’s priorities.
What We’re Looking For
Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
4+ years experience with key responsibilities: You have at least 4 years of directly relevant professional experience.
Heroku: You are proficient in developing and running applications in Heroku.
Data analysis: You are proficient in spreadsheets and data analysis.
SMS: You are proficient in developing and executing SMS campaigns using TexIt and Twilio.
Data dashboards: You are familiar with developing data dashboards in Google Analytics or Amplitude.
Error-free work: You are obsessed with error-free work.
Preferred (not required) chatbot experience: Ideally, you have 2+ years of professional experience building and testing chatbots. Please note that this experience is preferred, not required, so we’d strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not have this experience.
Preferred (not required) Spanish language: Ideally, you are proficient in Spanish. Please note that this experience is preferred, not required, so we’d strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not have this experience.
- $62,000 - $72,000 salary range, depending on experience
- Flexibility for work and life: Unlike a lot of places, we actually believe that people should only work 40 hours each week, except for occasional sprints that require more time in a week. We also trust everyone to make a schedule that works for them, as long as you’re able to join on all the necessary meetings. Want to work more one day and less the next? Fine by us. Work better in the middle of the night than during the afternoon? Go for it. Need to shift your hours to be able to pick up your kid from school? All good.
- Health care after 3 months, with individual premiums fully covered and cost-share for dependents
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid floating holidays each year
- 7.5 fully paid sick days each year
- 401(k) plan after one year, with 100% employer match on the first 3% and 50% employer match on the next 2%
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives.
Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 9 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Noticias Para Inmigrantes, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers 1 million immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 14 central staff and 27 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.